Information for individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment with Northfield Group of Companies.
What does this Privacy Notice cover?
This Privacy Notice provides information about personal data which are processed by a company or companies within the Northfield Group of companies (‘Northfield’ or ‘we’) in relation to individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment with Northfield. This includes prospective employees, interns and contractors.
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data we process about you, why we are processing your personal data and for which purposes, how long we hold your personal data for, how to access and update your personal data, as well as the options you have regarding your personal data and where to go for further information.
For individuals who are successful in their application for employment, internship or engagement as a contractor, the Privacy Notice – Northfield Group Employee, Contractor and Dependents’ available at https://www.northfield-group.com/privacy/ex-employee-notice.html will apply.
As well as this Privacy Notice, bespoke privacy notices and supplementary privacy statements may contain further information about how Northfield is processing your personal data. In those instances, such privacy notices will be communicated to you separately. These privacy notices may vary among the countries in which we operate to reflect local practices and applicable law requirements.
Notices are also available from the Northfield websites in the various locations in which we operate, in local languages and to reflect local requirements as appropriate.
Who is responsible for any personal data collected?
Depending upon your location, the company identified as the recruiting Northfield company is responsible for processing your personal data, either solely or jointly with its affiliates within the Northfield Group of Companies.
Special Notice – if you are under 16 years old and wish to apply for a Northfield sponsored education or innovation event
Except in those cases where Northfield organizes educational events specifically designed for children, we do not intentionally collect personal data of individuals under 16 years old. If you are under 16 years old (or a different age to reflect local legal requirements as communicated on the Northfield website in your location) please do not send us your personal data, for example, your name, address and email address. If you wish to contact Northfield in a way that requires you to submit your personal data (such as for education or innovation events) please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf.
What personal data do we process about you? Collection of information
We process personal information relating to individuals who apply to work for, or who attend a recruitment event and/or undertake an assessment (‘Applicants’).
This includes personal contact information, date of birth, whether you have the legal right to work in the country in which you have applied, your application for employment, your qualifications and experience, results of interviews and assessments.
Sensitive personal data
For the purposes of recruitment, special categories of data (‘sensitive personal data’) including personal data regarding health data may be processed only as strictly required and as permitted or required by local law for the purposes of making adjustments to the recruitment process, for assessing eligibility for positions and fitness to work and provision of facilities in the workplace to accommodate health problems or for the establishment, exercise or defence of claims.
In addition, in order to ensure equal employment opportunities as permitted or required by local law, we may also gather additional sensitive personal data regarding Applicants, including their nationality, racial and/or ethnic origin.
For what purposes do we process your personal data?
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Human Resources, personnel management, business process execution and internal management – including resource planning, and recruitment;
- Health, safety and security – including protection of an individual’s life or health, occupational health and safety, protection of Northfield’s assets and staff, authentication of individual status and access rights;
- Legal and/or regulatory compliance – including compliance with legal or regulatory requirements; or
- Management reporting and analysis – including statistical analysis and surveys regarding the quality of the recruitment process.
We may also process your personal data for a secondary purpose where it is closely related, such as:
- storing, deleting or anonymising your personal data;
- fraud prevention, audits, investigations, dispute resolution or insurance purposes, litigation and defence of claims; or
- statistical, historical or scientific research.
Pre-screening of Applicants
We carry out screening of all Applicants who we intend to make an offer of employment, engagement or internship (as the case may be) and prior to any offer being confirmed for the purposes of:
- verifying the information that an Applicant provides during the screening/interview process. This will include verifying information with current/previous employers and educational institutions. No steps will be taken in this respect until the Applicant confirms the verification can take place;
- screening Applicants against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources. This is to comply with legal and regulatory obligations, to protect Northfield’s assets and employees/contractors and specifically to ensure that Northfield can comply with trade control, anti-money laundering and/or bribery and corruption laws and other regulatory requirements.
Automated decision making and profiling
All applicants must answer questions that are necessary to ensure that individuals can lawfully enter into a contract with a Northfield company if they are successful in their application. In addition, for graduate hires, we utilize an online assessment tool that scores individuals on their suitability for employment, based on automated decision making to ensure objectivity. In those cases, you will be notified of this and you will have the opportunity to have such automated decisions reviewed by or on behalf of a member of the Northfield recruitment team. Save for graduate hires or as specifically notified to you in a bespoke privacy notice or a supplementary privacy statement during the recruitment process, no profiling or automated decision making will take place to determine suitability or eligibility for employment or engagement as a contractor.
Why do we process your personal data?
We only process personal data of Applicants:
- in order to take steps at the request of the Applicant prior to entering into a contract;
- where it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation to which the relevant Northfield company/companies is subject to ensure compliance with applicable employment, social security laws and regulations;
- where it is necessary for the legitimate business interests of Northfield (such as ensuring compliance with legal obligations other than those related to employment or social security, the protection of Northfield assets, reputation and Northfield employees and contractors) except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the Applicant; or
- (only if legally required) with the explicit consent of the Applicant.
In those cases where processing is based on consent and subject to applicable local law which provides otherwise, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent.
Who will we share the personal data with?
Your personal data are exclusively processed for the purposes referred to above and will only be shared on a strict need to know basis with:
- Other companies within the Northfield Group of Companies, including those which may be located outside of your location;
- Authorised third-party agents, service providers, external auditors and/or subcontractors of Northfield, in particular, authorised third parties who carry out reference and background checks on behalf of Northfield;
- A competent public authority, government, regulatory or fiscal agency where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which the relevant Northfield company/companies is subject to or as permitted by applicable law; or
- Any person to whom Northfield proposes to transfer any of its rights and/or duties.
Interacting with Northfield through social media
If you choose to interact with Northfield through social media on a Northfield administered social media page (‘Northfield Social Media Page’) – such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or LinkedIn, your personal data (such as your name, your profile picture and the fact that you are interested in Northfield) will be visible to all visitors of your personal webpage depending on your privacy settings on the relevant social media platform, and will also be visible to Northfield. You can delete any data that you shared on these sites at any time through your relevant social media platform’s account. Northfield does not track your activity across the different social media sites that you use. If you send a message to Northfield via any messenger service on a social media platform, these messages are held for no longer than one month after receipt. Please contact Northfield if you wish to make a request that you are unable to act yourself and which relates to a Northfield Social Media Page.
Additionally and to the extent Northfield is jointly responsible with a social media platform of a Northfield Social Media Page, Northfield will have access through the social media platform to aggregated data providing statistics and insights that help to understand the types of actions you take on Northfield Social Media Pages. For more information on how your personal data are processed on those social media platforms, including any targeted advertising that you may receive, please refer to your privacy settings accessible through your relevant social media platform’s account.
Transfers of your personal data to other countries
Where your personal data have been transferred to companies within the Northfield group and/or to authorised third parties located outside of your country we take organisational, contractual and legal measures to ensure that your personal data are exclusively processed for the purposes mentioned above and that adequate levels of protection have been implemented in order to safeguard your personal data. These measures include Binding Corporate Rules for transfers among the Northfield Group and for Northfield companies in the EU, European Commission approved transfer mechanisms for transfers to third parties as well as any additional local legal requirements. You can find a copy of Northfield Binding Corporate Rules at www.northfield-group.com/privacy.
Security of your personal data
We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use and will update these measures as new technology becomes available, as appropriate.
How long do you hold my personal data for?
Subject to different retention periods set out in the privacy notice in your location, we hold personal data of unsuccessful Applicants for at least 6 months but no longer than two years after the recruitment process or assessment has been completed.
Information may be held for a longer period of time where there is a legal or regulatory reason to do so (in which case it will be deleted once no longer required for the legal or regulatory purpose).
If you are successful in your application, the personal data gathered through the recruitment process will be retained in line with the Privacy Notice – Employees’, Dependants’ and Contractors’ Personal Data, which is available at https://www.northfield-group.com/ex-employee-notice.html
What are the consequences of not providing your data?
Personal data requested and provided by Applicants are required in order to fulfil legal requirements and/or which is required for entering into a contract with you (or in the case of a contractor your employer/service provider). Failure to provide us with the information requested which is limited to that required for these purposes will negatively affect your chances of being selected for any potential employment, engagement or internship.
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. You can request:
- access to your personal data;
- correction, or deletion of your personal data (but only where they are no longer required for a legitimate business purpose);
- that the processing of your personal data is restricted; and/or
- that you receive personal data that you have provided to Northfield, in a structured, digital form to be transmitted to another party, if this is technically feasible.
Please contact https://www.northfield-group.com/careers.html.
Who can you contact if you have a query, concern, complaint, about your personal data?
If you have any issues, queries or complaints regarding the processing of your personal data please refer to the relevant Northfield privacy notice in your location or alternatively you can contact Privacy-Office@mailto:Privacy-Office-SI@northfield-group.com.
If you are unsatisfied with the handling of your personal data by Northfield, then you have the right to lodge a complaint to your local data protection authority (if there is one) or the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) Canton of Ticino whose address isVia Canonico, Ghiringhelli 1, 6501 Bellinzona
tel. +41 91 814 45 00 Please visit https://www4.ti.ch/can/sgcds/pd/generalita/ for more information.
Special Notice – For any technical issue with regards to your recruitment process or in case of questions or comments regarding job opportunities at Northfield, please contact us at: Northfield Careers SSSCMLA-HRVO/N-T1 email@example.com.
Cookies and similar technologies
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. You are advised to regularly review this Privacy Notice for possible changes. This Privacy Notice was last updated in August 2019.